What job search strategies are you utilizing? Since we know that networking is the most effective and successful job search tool available have you made it your top priority? If so, are you prepared to network in person and online?
Professional networking opportunities are easily discovered but don’t ignore opportunities to network at any social venue including your church, fundraisers, local organizations, special interest groups and Birthday parties! Someone knows someone and that someone could very well be the key contact that will lead you into your next appointment. Always be prepared to reach out and share information about yourself and never be shy about including the fact that you are seeking a new position. Remember first impressions are critical so take note of the following:
- Look in a mirror! Are you well dressed and well groomed?
- Do you have an elevator pitch, well practiced and in both a short and long version depending on the opportunity?
- Does your business card look professional and is it current?
- Are you prepared to ask for contact information and to follow up?
Networking online is no longer an option, it is a must. HR professionals and recruiters agree that Linkedin is a top resource in their recruitment of candidates. To ensure you are successful with online networking, take note of the following:
- Create your Linkedin profile using content from a professionally prepared resume.
- Display an enticing tag line.
- Acquire a professional photo for all online profiles.
- Clearly describe the position you are seeking.
- Be diligent in updating your status and increasing your network of connections with a personalized invitation.
Linkedin currently provides access to 65 million professionals but don’t ignore the significant impact of networking offline within your circle of colleagues, friends and relatives. It is only a few degrees of separation that connects us all and it only takes one contact to succeed in your job search.
Visit /aneliteresume/execunet/ for information on Executive Networking Meetings held three times a month in the GTA.
Leave a Reply